Monday, November 3, 2008

Begich keeps things sqeaky clean (apparently wishes Washington did too)

So with months and months to create scathing advertisements against indicted and now convicted Republican AK Senator, Ted Stevens, Mark Begich, has kept things relatively clean.

Very clean in fact. Here's the dirtiest ad I could find, and it's about a car wash:



I think the "Ultimate Car Wash" is charming. I don't know if Jim would agree given how easy this would be to take negative, but the fact that he's not going for the jugular appears to be working. He's still up by double-digits (10.3 on Real Clear Politics). The rest of his ads are about his history (his dad was a U.S. Congressman who was lost in a plane crash), his "I-don't-care-about-politics" middle of the road stuff (the guy is for drilling in ANWR), and call for a Senator "as independent as Alaska."

Here's how 'negative' he goes on his website:

"Alaskans expect their elected officials to live by the highest standards of honesty, integrity, and transparency. Unfortunately, Alaskans have been let down by their elected officials. Secret meetings, hidden favors, special access for special interests, and now convicted legislators have given Alaska a black eye. The only way to restore Alaskans trust in their elected leaders is for them to earn it."

I'm actually very pleased by what I've found (or not found). How easy would it be to run an ad or two with a grainy picture of Stevens superimposed over a deck with a nice grill? Or maybe an ad where Begich pulls a gun on Stevens' oil-co. cronies? If the smiley-everyman thing works in Alaska, then Begich knows it. I'm not saying he's being extra ethical or genuine by not cutting Stevens' throat. I'm just saying it's refreshing.

Of course, if I was a voter receiving direct mail in Alaska, who knows what I'd find?

No comments: